Tashkent – Museum of Applied Arts
The State Museum of Applied Arts was founded in 1937, on the basis of a temporary exhibition of arts and crafts. Beginning from 1938 its exposition was housed in a former palace of the Russian diplomat A.A. Polovtsev.
Late in the XIX century the Museum got its own building, which represented an model of architectural and decorative art of that time. The architectural decor, ganj carving, woodcarving and wood painting were performed by well-known Uzbek craftsmen: Usta Т. Arslankulov, А. Kazymjanov (Tashkent), Usta Shirin Muradov (Bukhara), Usta A. Palvanov (Khiva), Usta Abdulla (Rishtan).
The building was renovated twice – in 1941 and 1961. In 1970 it was completely reconstructed.
Today the Museum funds hold over 4,000 exhibits, describing the history of Uzbekistan's decorative art. There are samples of wood carving, ceramics, minting, Jeweller's art, gold- embroidery art, embroidery, as well as the samples of mass production of local industry of the past centuries.